Thursday, January 5, 2012

Appreciating Heirlooms...

Mick's mom Elsie passed away in 2001.  While Jan and Mick were cleaning out her things,  Mick decided to ship her China home for us to have.  At the time I think it cost like 450 dollars to pack and ship the China and I though were am I going to put it.

When it got here and I looked at it I realized I loved it.  I loved what it represented.  Years in a family.  Many Christmas Dinners were most likely eaten off of these plates.  You can tell that a lot of coffee was drank because there were only 3 coffee cups left.  I am assuming that there at one time was a service for 12.  I was in need of some of the pieces so for this past Christmas I put together a list of some of the items that were missing and asked for that for Christmas.

There is a place called Replacements.com that you can register your pattern and when something comes in that is what you need they will contact you.  I added 2 new dinner plates so I have 10 now.  1 creamer so now I have the sugar and creamer set.  I hope to finish the set in the next couple of years if the company can find the pieces.  I do not know how much the China cost when it was purchased in the 1940's but it is Priceless to me!

I hope that when I am gone one of my children will take it and look at it and appreciate the history and the family value that it has.

Even though we only use it on holidays  I love to look at it and think of my mother-in-law Elsie McCarty and how she must have loved having her family for dinner on those special occasions.


Here are some pictures of the China.  It is Noritake, pattern is Severy.  I am proud to call it mine.

1 comment:

  1. It is just beautiful. Old china always makes me think of all the people who have held it, meals that were eaten on it. What a great treasure for your family! We keep a collage of Elsie in the hall. She is missed!

    ReplyDelete