Saturday, February 4, 2012

Here Goes....

I did not want my blog to become political or a soap box, but I just could not let this one go.


I will say upfront (as if you probably didn't already know) I AM PRO LIFE.


The Susan G. Komen Controversy:


Over the last few years it came to my attention that Susan G Komen (who by the way does wonderful work to help find a cure for breast cancer) was giving money to Planned Parenthood for"breast health" at their clinics.  I was not thrilled so I would not donate because there was no accountability as to where this money was actually being spent.  The people at Planned Parenthood said it was going for breast exams etc.  I do not believe that, they are the biggest provider of abortions in the United States.


This week the Susan G Komen Foundation decided to not give grant money to PP.  Hooray!  Until 2 days later when they caved under political pressure and changed their mind and will now allow PP to apply for grant money.


During these 48 hours PP raised 1 million dollars in donations.  I am sure from the Pro Choice side.  During this same time Susan G Komen donations were up 100% mostly from Pro Life supporters.


I struggle with this because on the one hand if PP saved one life through a brochure they handed out or a breast exam than that is awesome.  But on the other hand they  performed over 300,000 abortions last year.


I was just about to send The Komen Foundation my donation yesterday before I heard of the reversal and I just couldn't.  If 1 cent of my money was used for abortions I would be sick!


Don't get me wrong The Komen Foundation does soooo much to help fight and find a cure for breast cancer, but they have to be able to assure me where my donation is going. So until they can assure me that the money  I donate will in no shape or form be used to fund abortions than I can not donate.


Until then I am looking into other ways of helping to fight breast cancer.  Here is a link to The National Breast Cancer Foundation and I have just made my donation. http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/


I was going to say I will get off my soapbox now, but I don't think I will ever get off of this one.  I Choose Life.

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Cindy,
    I am grateful you shared this. I have participated in race for the cure events annually since 1986 and 3-3 day events. I have always been pro-life and my heart sank when this whole tragic relationship came to light. I can't give money without accountability so look for other venues to support breast cancer research. Relay for life appears to be sound but needless to say I will do Lots of research before I commit.

    ReplyDelete